Nidacore layup schedule

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by reelpleasure, Mar 4, 2014.

1. reelpleasure

reelpleasure Junior Member

As I go forward with my rebuild/rehab/repower of my 1989 25 T Jason lobster boat, I'm getting to the point of laying up and glassing in lateral stringers/deck supports for the hull. This 25 Terry Jason was laid up 100% polyester resin back in 1989.

I have assorted sizes of 4X8 Nidacore panels. I'll be using 1.5" panels for the stringers.

I plan on a layer of 1808 on each side of the stringer resin will be polyester.

Stringers will be cut to fit and glassed to the hull and original longitudinal stringers with 1st coat vinyl ester resin and final coats polyester resin.
    My plan is to use three layers of 1808 to attach the stringers to hull/orginal stringers etc.

What are you opinions on strength? two 1808s and three 1808s sufficient.

Here are some pics of the original wood/plywood deck held together with nails/screws and some glass on top of the plywood deck.

The last pics are of a similar bulkhead layout I pan to use.

Appreciated, Reelpleasure

Attached Files:

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I'm thinking using nida core in an edgeways orientation is not it's strong point and will more or less just be a form for the glass.

So, since it's not very much area and not hardly any more weight, especially on a workboat, I would at least put two 1808s on each side of the nidacore before cutting, fitting and laminating to the hull. Possibly eliminating one of the 3 (stagger the edges) tabbing layers. Possibly.

A side note, before laminating all the stringers and deck supports in, make sure the hull shape is not lost from what it was before removing all the structure. You don't want any concavities/dentations caused by supports and you don't want any twist caused by uneven supports. Check for twist by using 2x4s across the gunnels as winding sticks.

[​IMG]