new fiberglass hull from pre-existing plastic one

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by bobbyzahn, Apr 20, 2006.

1. bobbyzahn

bobbyzahn Junior Member

I've done quite a bit of research lately, and before attempting a larger boat, I decided I would try something a little easier. I have an older plastic canoe that's fairly beat up and was wondering if I could use it as a plug to make a fiberglass copy.

Is this feasable? I was considering lining the outside with balsa wood and then laying a layer of fiberglass over it. Then popping it off the plug and placing another layer of fiberglass in it so it would have a nice wood look to it.

So would this idea work? And what weight fiberglass cloth/matt is recommended? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Bobby z

2. bobbyzahn

bobbyzahn Junior Member

actually I was just reading about the"anti splash laws" and decided against it. Sorry for the inconvienence.

3. eyes

eyes Junior Member

Be careful with the rights of the manufacturer of the plastic hull you have.

4. Russ

Russ 60 year plastics veteran

Thanks Bobbyzahn, for respecting other peoples sweat and investment. Before the anti splash law, knocking off somebodys work was pervasive. I was Head of Engineering for a company making Van tops for the van conversion industry and I ran into a stack of tops at a customer who had reduced using our product. We had put serial numbers on all the tops we made and on inspection I found the entire stack had the same serial number. Obviously they had taken a splash from our top, even the serial number. We went to court and won of course.
    How about repairing and smoothing the outside of the boat and covering it with 8oz or #181 fiberglas cloth. That weave is so smooth you could gel coat over it and smooth and polish it to a rebuilt canoe.