new builder

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by pennreeler, Feb 2, 2006.

1. pennreeler

pennreeler Junior Member

Hello everybody,

Im new to the site. Im looking to build a 26 foot center console in my spare garage. I have the space, but not the expieriance. Can anyone help me out? I know the process to building boats, just not HOW to do it. Anyone with help, that would be wonderful.

2. lprimina

lprimina Senior Member

You have to ask specific questions so they can be answered. Do you have plans? If so what do they say? What kind of boat do you want to build? I mean we know it is a 25footer but what ie: flat bottom, V full, flare ect, The people on this forum are more than happy to answer any questions they just need to be more specific.
    Good luck
    Ben

3. JEM

JEM Senior Member

I'd start with a simpler pram or canoe to get a feel for the process. Try and find a set of plans that builds with the same method you're going to use to build the larger boat.

4. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

JEM is correct. It will take less money and less time to build a small dingy/canoe and the big boat than if you just start with the big boat - I promise

Joel

5. yipster

yipster designer

6. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

Nicely done...!

7. Eagle Boats

Eagle Boats Senior Member

We have a hull mold to build a boat very similar to what is listed above. If interested, we can build you a hull, and you can finish yourself.

8. lprimina

lprimina Senior Member

here is a pic of the start of a boat like you want an a middle
    DSCF0046.jpg
    LSide.jpg
    boat pics 006.jpg

9. pennreeler

pennreeler Junior Member

thanks so much for all the input. In my high school shop class last year, we built skiffs, so im a little bit familier but its a far cry from what i want to build now. What we built was very basic. The only real problem that im positive im going to run in to is the scantlings and the keel and all that stuff. The skiffs we built were flat bottomed to we didnt loft anything. The boat i want to build is flaired to go offshore. My design is very basic, and doesnt have probably all the neccesary calculations to build so if anyone has free or relativly cheep offshore center console plans, that would probably be better for me to build for my first offshore boat. Anyone with anything would be great. Thanks so much.

10. pennreeler

pennreeler Junior Member

eagle boats,
    How much neccesarily would it cost to build me a hull?

11. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

You might want to pick up Dave Gerr's book "Elements of Boat Strength" - it has a rule of thumb method for calculating scantlings. Basically if you knew how to do all the calculations, then used a healthy safety margin - you would end up around what Gerr specifies.

Joel

Thanks for the kind words there yipster :)

12. pennreeler

pennreeler Junior Member

Haha. Im one step ahead of you. I just ordered that book last night, but I would still like to get ahold of some plans that are relatively cheap or even free would be nice. I would rather build a predetermined plan, that has been calculated right and that i know is right then to do the calculations and not be 110% sure. I mean im good at math, but i just want everything to be 100% perfect. If ANYONE can help me out with some cheap (preferrably FREE) you would be my HERO. Thanks for all of your kindness and help and i look forward to using it in the future.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.