Need help couple Questions

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by DANS, Jan 2, 2006.

1. DANS

DANS New Member

Hi guys I am new here as ya can tell. I am in the market for a hunting boat I have found a few designs that if altered could give me what I want. So tonight while on watch I altered a coupel to give me the design I'm looking for.

Now her is the questions sorry for dragging out.

1. Can you cover your framing with say canves and then coat it with wax and liqued release so you can pop the bottom shell off after drying ?

2. If so what is best to use to get canves tight fitting so there is no sagging?

3 How many layers should you use for a good sold bottom that can take running in rough weather and in over sand and eel grass flats?

I'm sure I will have many more questions as I begin this project this spring thank you for you help

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"1. Can you cover your framing with say canves and then coat it with wax and liqued release so you can pop the bottom shell off after drying ? "

This may work , but if youre just building ONE boat , why bother?

There are FG rods with mat attached that can be stapled to your frame and then simply glassed over.

The thickness of the layups will be deternined by the amount of structure & stifening you install inside.

You might consider the "stich & glue" methods instead , and just heavily glass over the hull.

FAST FRED

3. tja

tja Senior Member

Tja

What style of hunting boat have you been looking at?

4. DANS

DANS New Member

I don't know the name it wil be a semi V with the top decked in and a 4x8 cockpit for shooting out of.

I am new as I said so any help will be appriciated this is my first attempt at a boat. Fred with the rods and mat as you say what stops the cloth form saging when you put the resin and on it