My "Blondie" Dinghy. Design by John bell

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Dinghy in Japan, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Dinghy in Japan

Dinghy in Japan Junior Member

I've already got most of the things I need. The hardest was getting Marine grade epoxy. The cheapest I could find was always over 30,000 yen. I found a company from America called "the Epoxy experts" and I got two gallons worth for less than 20,000 yen. The other thing I'm looking for at the moment are oar locks/rope cleats. I can get them from Amazon USA for a decent price, but I would love to be able go to a marine supply store that offered an alternative.

My boat is only 8'6, so I've been able to scrap by. If I build anything bigger I'll have to find a local source.

How long have you been a Naval architect in Japan?

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Im sure you realise importing into Japan is not without hurdles. Namely customs tries to get as much money out of you as possible, simply because you bought overseas and not Japanese!

I've been in Japan 11 years...

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A 12 pack of beer on a Saturday afternoon, with guys roaming around the yard, can yield wonders for your local sourcing.