Morgan 382 Keel Crack

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by rover4679, May 24, 2006.

1. rover4679

rover4679 New Member

I have a 1979 Morgan 382 the was recently brought to my house for repairs. Before the trip there was no noticable damage below the waterline. After making the 70 mile trip a crack developed the length of the keel where it meets the hull. It doesnt seem to be deep, mabey 1/8" or so. I'm concerned about this crack being more than it looks like. Has anyone else had similar problems? Has anyone else made repairs of this kind? Thanks.

2. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

I am not familiar with this particular design, but keel cracks do happen from time to time. Repairs may depend on whether there is a fiberglass stub for the keel attachment. That is, does the hull have a stub shape molded in to which the keel is attached, or does the hull continue straight across the top of the keel with no stub. In any case, you may have to remove the keel to be absolutely sure. If there is no stub, the joint itself may have opened up a bit, and maybe all it needs is some additional caulking. However, if the stub is cracked, you have a major problem. The fiberglass is probably broken.

The cause of the crack is from not blocking the boat properly for the transport. That is, too much of the weight of the hull was sitting right on top of the keel, and not enough support stands around the boat were in place, or were taking their own share of the weight for the trip. As the truck ran down the road, the boat moved slightly up and down, punching itself onto the keel.

The best thing to do is to lift the hull off the keel and have a qualified marine surveyor look at it and inspect the hull for damage.

Eric

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.