Mold release application question

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by searaytuna, Feb 28, 2006.

1. searaytuna

searaytuna Junior Member

I have a mold for a helmstation that I just made. I have tried on a similar mold and got stuck by using 4 coats of mold release wax. Is PVA a better release agent for bigger parts? Should I have used more layers? THanks for any insight.

2. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

5 t0 6 coats of wax is good put on the wax generous and give a quick wipe of the exsive let the remander haze up about 15 minutes, then buff the hell out of it using at least 2 rags make sure u get all the wax wiped, wait a hour for the next coat of wax and do the same, after 5 or 6 coats u should be good, wait a couple of hours to let the wax set hard before u spray pva put on a couple of coats and you be set, if u have problems releasing the mould pva is water base and u can pour hot water to part it

3. searaytuna

searaytuna Junior Member

Are there any other ways of applying PVA other than spraying to get a similar finish?

4. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

you can wipe it on with a cloth or sponge but the finsh is not as good, if your going to be doing finsh sanding on your part by all means wipe it on

5. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

I always use a semi permanent release under the first waxes like Multi pull by TR! PVA spraying a dozen or so mist coats before it will start to form a gloss with an old lacquer gun like model 7 binks.

6. Jeff Therrell

Jeff Therrell Junior Member

Put 6 coats of extend 802 ,you just wipe it on and let it cure 15 min between coats.It will have a haze on the mold,don't buff it off wait till after your first part is pulled then put another coat on it and polish it with a soft cloth and you are good for 20 or so pulls.
    Thanks
    Jeff Therrell