Mold Question

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Woodyaht, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Woodyaht

Woodyaht New Member

Hi, I am a new poster on this site, done quite a bit of searching but had a question in regards to my situation.
    I am building a mold for a composite tank I am going to start producing on the side, and I have never made a re-usable mold. I have always made one off molds and either finished the surface with Gel-Coat or Urathane paint. I have made numerous Hardtops, hollow one piece radar arches, but always did the finish work after the fact.

My Questions:

1) Is straight "Duratec" hi-gloss clear Gel-Coat over my faired and finished mold good for the final finish?
    2) Is Urathane Automobile clear a option?

3) How important / necesary is it to sand and polish the final finish?
    4) Is orange peel ok?

Normally when I spray I am left with about the same amount of orange peel that a new car finish has. All I have ever used is a regular pressure pot gun, I don't own a "gel-coat" gun :(

My mold might see one pull a month if that, so it won't be used that regularly.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

You can leave the surface unsanded if you want, but if you sand and pollish it it will release much easier.

Duratech makes products designed for respraying molds, it levels better than normal tooling gel coat and is very tough. The clear is not a good choice for this project.