Mold Building

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by bf123, Jul 19, 2006.

1. bf123

bf123 New Member

I have a several hulls that I built from one mold, but the last one attemted stuck to the mold and we ended up breaking the mold trying to get it out. Is there any way to build a new mold from and already existing hull. I really like this hull and i hate to start from scratch because i dont think i will ever get it back the way it was. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Yes. You can, with careful surface prep, use an existing hull as a plug to build a new mould. Since it appears you already own the design, this is legal (if it were not your design, it would be splashing). The trick is to remove all hardware, flashtape over all holes, and be really careful to get a perfect polish and release wax job on the surface. It's basically the same process you probably went through to make the mould in the first place.

3. bf123

bf123 New Member

That is what i had planned on trying, i actually bought the mold and the right to build boats from this mold, I just wanted to make sure that was the right way to do it before i tried and screwed up again. Thanks.

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

If the boat has nearly vertical sides, you might consider doing a two-piece (port and starboard) mould, which- provided you have a shop crane to hold the boat while you de-mould it- will make releasing the hull a lot easier.

5. mechatics

mechatics Junior Member

dear,
    u can do it but need more care and finishing work afterwords, first u should deassemble the hull and then carefully make good surface and that's something time consuming process but for better results u have to do patiencely. after make a good polishing and waxing, i prefer to do in temperature controlled area requied for gelcoating. and please do most care when u laminating, sometimes it's problem like early release after 2-3 lay-up. in this matter u just keep in mind small critical points only other than it's not a big deal, i did it for my company lots time
    raj

6. Toot

Toot Senior Member

Can we see some pictures of the broken mold?