Moisture readings

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Anders Radmark, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Anders Radmark

Anders Radmark Junior Member

Hello out there - I am an amateur and are in a conflict with a prepurcher surveyor in UK. He mentioned no moisture readings at all. Balsacored hull and deck! Also under waterline! Sailing boat 40 feet.

Second opinion surveyors has following report for me(After hot vac treatmentunder waterline):
    No 1, Moisture readings with a Sovereign Moisture Meter on A-scale;
    Over waterline between 18-19, under waterline 19-20+, deck 16-19.
    No 2 Moisture readings with Sovereign electronic moisture meter with a scale 0-25 where the scale equates to approx moisture content ranging from zero to 2% as measured by weight;
    Over waterline 15-17, Under waterline 15-20+
    No 2 used a different meter which will detect moisture in the balsa core and in 3/4 of the deck area medium to high levels of moisture were measured.

I really should like commentares on this situation.
    Is this a wreck in some years and is it too high readings to repair at all. What experiace is out there??
    Should an honest and professional surveyor have discussed high readings with me as buyer?
    What levels in moisture do you accept as normal for a ship about 25 years old?

Anders

2. bilgeboy

bilgeboy Senior Member

You are no longer an amatuer. You are now an expert in the utility and accuracy of moisture meters.

Congratulations!

Mike

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Never use a surveyor they are dishonest and are usually paid for buy the broker who chooses them carefully- if he doesnt have a regular.

A man that has had a boat or two will know far more than a surveyor.

A surveyor is like a lawer. But worse.

4. Anders Radmark

Anders Radmark Junior Member

Jack and Mike - I am very glad for your trust in my new knoledge!!

YES , I learn a lot about Grp boats by this. I have only have had wooden boats earlier.

And - I also had some questions about what "normal moisture readings" can be acceptable and about the structural function of a boat in this condition.

And Jack - I can agree with you about the brookers choice of surveyor in my case - But - I must also say that I have met at least two onest and very professional surveyors during my "learning".

Anders

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.