Mixing epoxy brands

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by jorgepease, Aug 18, 2014.

1. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I'm running low on Prime 20LV by Gurit and don't want to wait 2 weeks or more for them to mix up a new batch, has anyone ever mixed epoxies.

I was thinking I could get a gallon of proset infusion epoxy just in case I run short. Is this a big no no!

2. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Something in the back of my head says 'No'. I can't specifically say why. I'm assuming that different formulators have different approaches to their epoxy chemistry. What catalyzes the reaction may be different in one brand than the other and also there's nothing to say that the resin is compatible either. If in a pinch do a test. Mix up two small batches then mix them together and stand back!

3. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Yeah Iv got a feeling its not a good idea too. I read somewhere that most resin comes from a few sources but the catalyst is where the incompatibility will occur

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you mean laminating with one epoxy over another, it shouldn't be a problem. However, it should be better to ask the manufacturer of the product.

5. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

No, what I meant was to infuse a part and if I run out to actually use a completely different system to finish the infusion. But I may have to just buy a whole bunch more resin because Gurit has the worst distribution I have ever seen!

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Actually, Gurit resins are "rebadged" and simply someone else's product with a new label. I can't remember who's, but I can find out.

Yes, you can mix and match resin/hardeners from different brands, either wholly or partly. By this I mean (with some understanding) you can use one companies resin, with another's hardener. Of course you'll have to do some leg work, maybe some testing, so you can use comparable systems, but it's possible. It's not something I recommend for those without a good bit of comprehension, about the chemistry involved. As a rule, if the mixing ratio is the same, you can probably use someone else's resin or hardener. It's important to note the cure type and any peculiarities between the two, but they usually will be comparable.

Generally there are two basic formulations commonly available "BIS A" and "BIS F" and a few hardener agents (curing groups) cycloaliphatic amines (quite common), polyamine, cycloaliphatic, aromatic, aliphatic. Some of these can react poorly with resin systems designed for other curing agents. A quick check of labels or MSDS sheets will confirm which type you're playing with.

Again, you need some understanding, but with some leg work and research, you can, mix and match. If it's cured epoxy you're talking about, the point is moot, for the most part.

7. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

PAR if you happen to find out who produces Gurits resin, please let me know. I was going to purchase an extra gallon of resin - and - hardener of another system not mix one brands resin and one brands hardener.

The hope was to infuse all with one brand and then switch to the other brand if I ran out.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Switching brands will not make any difference, assuming physical properties are similar.

9. AndrewK

AndrewK Senior Member

Yes you can mix two different brands together, if you know you are going to be short I would mix each brand first and then slump the two together. This way you have uniform properties through the entire part.
    The important thing is if you mixed an ambient cure batch with an elevated temperature cure batch then you have to cure at the elevated temperature.

As PAR said if the physical properties of each brand are simillar then there will be no difference in the mixed product.

10. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I did notice that Prosets infusion epoxy seemed to have similar properties, will double check that now.

Thanks very much!!

11. jiggerpro

jiggerpro Senior Member

Yes, gurit´s sale service is reaaaly poor, you better not try to buy their corecell, even in measurable enough quantities .... umbelievably bad .........

12. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

http://www.easternburlap.com/

Their site isn't much to look at but the best place to buy core .. be it Corecel or Coosa etc... really good pricing and fast delivery.