Material Sources

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by bfhaynes, Jul 9, 2006.

1. bfhaynes

bfhaynes New Member

I am planning the construction of my 65 foot Sailing vessel. I am going to be building a composite hull. Strip plank wood epoxy and fiberglass. I have a design from a designer selected and am now in the pricing and preparation phases. I am seeking suggestions for sources of building materials and parts.

Where could I get the wood? What kind of wood do you suggest? White Cedar is the most prominent suggestion I have received to date.

What is the best source for fiberglass and kevlar when buying in pretty good quantities?

Best source for Divinicell in all thicknesses?

Marine grade plywood for interior work?

Where would you suggest for Doors and waterproof Hatches?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Brian

2. nero

nero Senior Member

EPON resins, I get mine out of St Louis, MO. There is probably a distributor closer to you.

Northen White Cedar, or Atlantic White Cedar? If it is a monohull, maybe douglas fir. I even remember some guy made one out of black locust. I found a source in VT for Atlantic White Cedar. Have not used them but they are willing to quarter saw. Would not suggest cypress. It is too hard to find in clear stock. Sassafrass is good also if you find it.