manual metering pump for epoxy

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by cristofa, Dec 27, 2005.

1. cristofa

cristofa Junior Member

Does anybody know of a good, simple, reliable manual metering pump suitable for epoxy? I would like to be able to stick the resin and accelerator tails in the kegs, and set it up so pulling one lever dispenses a 100:22 mix.

In due course we'll get a machine, but in the meantime, such a pump would save a lot of time.

Christopher
    www.rocat.co.uk

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I don't know of any generic ones... Gougeon Brothers (makers of West System) have a pretty nice line of mixing pumps in the proper ratios for their resin, 100:25 if I recall correctly. The most basic is a pair of hand pumps like those of hand-soap bottles, sized to fit standard cans of resin and hardner. They've got a few manual and electric gear pumps too.

3. cristofa

cristofa Junior Member

Matt, thanks for that lead ... unfortunately the only Gougeon pump with enough capacity - the '309 High-Capacity Gear Pump' can't be adjusted to the ratio I need.

Christopher
    www.rocat.co.uk

4. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

I never trust a pump use a scale!

5. cristofa

cristofa Junior Member

That's what we do at present, but we are measuring out between 1 and 6kg of epoxy, and I find the scales a pain ... I haven't tried one, but surely a simple, ganged calibrated pump would be easier.

Christopher
    www.rocat.co.uk

6. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

Each to his own!

7. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Home made epoxy pumps

How about a home made balance scale built like a see saw? Adjust the hole in the center until the two buckets in the opposite end balances out to the ratio you wanted to use.

Pumps are good but from my experience, those "buna" O rings in the pump give out without warning.

8. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

My guys are quick on a scale get it right to the mark Every time, Pumps can never be as accurate ! And right beside the bench is a large cone on a resin pump we pour into after mixing for the pressure fed roller system on the end of a long hose in the lay up room..Acetone flush! But I have a recovery unit for that also !

9. cristofa

cristofa Junior Member

An eccentric balance ... that's an intriguing idea. Load a known quantity of resin in to one side, then just pour the hardener in to the other till it balances.

But I would still prefer a system which automatically dispenses the liquids in the right ratio. Given the number of people who have to mix epoxy on a daily basis, I'm rather surprised that there aren't more/any metering dispensers available.

Christopher
    www.rocat.co.uk

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.