Lobster boat sponson

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by dirtydiego41, Jan 19, 2017.

1. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

I think those are the determining factors in most projects in life.

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Nicely crafted nuggets of vessels, a few videos on I saw this & assume the fishery is only open for a short time, outstanding and intense
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdNdcb86KWY

That is something else!!

Jeff.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

What seeming mayhem. Do you get to keep any boats you catch in the net ?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

My statement that it doesn't look like a good idea is based on what I expect the cost and time to modify a boat will be. Further, it will add a lot of weight. It would most likely be better to either build a new boat or get a larger one. Also, to make a larger finished hull go faster a lot more power will be necessary. That may stress the original structure beyond what it was built for, which in turn will necessitate reinforcements. This will add more time, money and weight. By the way, thanks for the comment on my youthful looks; I'm 58.

5. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Nowhere near the sea.......Diego, ever hear of Lake Michigan? How about the SS Carl D Bradley? I thought not.....

BTW, Gonz, you handsome devil......I had no idea you were a stud too. Wow, talk about a man of many talents, and forgiving too.

6. Sparky568

Sparky568 Junior Member

I see. So they actually make boats that fits Diego's needs already on the west coast? Not familiar with the Ivan but have seen the Wegley hull. Their 34 foot model isn't as wide as you say the Ivan is. They do seen a bit "portly". Maybe it's the water or the fisheries that are different but east coast and west coast work boats are like apples and oranges.

7. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

8. dirtydiego41

dirtydiego41 Junior Member

Look, I wasn't really going for the pissing contest, but there is absolutely no comparison between mother ocean and the great LAKES. See many bulbous bows on those lake boats up there? Why not? If I'm not mistaken the Bradley was a glorified barge, sunken by a "slack tank", correct? I didn't say you couldn't get boats built at those dimensions, I said they weren't available, meaning affordable. Sure, I can buy a new one starting in the hundreds of thousands, that's out. These boat's don't cross bars, and they don't get fished when it's 20' blowing 30, so it doesn't have to rival a coastguard cutter. I can see the weight issue being valid, but flotation and stability are also being added. Roughly 300 cu/ft. The Glass is roughly 1000# plus resin and lumber. Power stays the same, like I said 8-10 kts. Thanks for the input Dr. Gonzo, like I said I stand corrected. As for the cost issue, labor would make up the majority. If you had to pay someone to do this it would definitely change the bottom line. I get wholesale on materials, rough estimate 300 gal. resin, 800 yds mat/roving, and some lumber comes in under 20k.
    If you guys had seen some of the mods that go on and actually work out here, I think you may actually be amazed, 2 different worlds for sure. Never underestimate the will of a commercial fisherman.

9. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

8-10 knots is beyond "hull speed" for a 30 footer, you may find that widening this boat drags a knot or two of speed off, with the current power. It may also change the behaviour of the boat in other ways you don't like, but without seeing any pictures or diagrams, that is guesswork.

10. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Years ago there were many builders of glass commercial fishing boats in Washington State, but the market went away and so did the builders, some converted to building yachts and never looked back.

When the demand slowly increased due to the age of the fleet and fewer fisherman resulting in greater profits, there weren't any (very few) builders around to meet the demand, so some of the fisherman started building boats, the designs were a bit different and focused more on the needs of the user than traditional lines. Many had no training skill or experience, it was the napkin sketch after too many beers in a dive fishing port bar. These guys had cash and long cold winters (Alaska) when they didn't have much to do, so they put up buildings and made molds, then built the boats. They refined the designs over time and still are. Many modified existing hulls like discussed here to get the job done and make more money, then built new boats a few years down the road.

11. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

-
    If you don't want a pissing contest just don't start one then, and also don't go on with it . . :idea:

Some questions to get on with the original topic . . :cool:

- About the boat, what brand and type are we talking about ?

- Or do you have to buy it yet ?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  12. Sparky568

Sparky568 Junior Member

WOW! That is an impressive boat. Tons of space in that rig. Don't want to derail the thread but... How does he like the ACERT C18. A few have been dropped into some 42 foot and 46 foot boats here. With some sort of incentive I'm willing to bet. I could be wrong but I think I read someplace the C18 was actually an FPT block with Cat colors.

Diego, from your latest post, I can certainly see your reasoning behind this. I didn't consider the economics of your particular situation and building new is not an option. Your endeavor is certainly bold. But I can now see that is who you are by the nature of your occupation. Maximizing time on the water instead of running in and out loading traps truly amounts to $ in your pocket instead of the fuel docks. I would still like to know who the original builder is and perhaps a few pictures may help this along for you.

13. dirtydiego41

dirtydiego41 Junior Member

See, I'm making all sorts of new friends. Since I'm the one asking for help, I apologize for any offense, less dishing, more taking, noted. I'll grab some photos tomorrow. The hull is Repco. Also, permits that are attached to boats in CA have length of boat restrictions. If your permit is for a 35' boat you can not transfer to a 38' boat, however, you can add whatever you want to the existing 35' boat. Every sign in this state says NO somewhere. I don't own the boat yet, but it's big sister is in our yard, those pics will have to do.

14. Sparky568

Sparky568 Junior Member

Ah ha REPCO aka. Re-Enforced Plastics Co. One of the first builders of commercial FRP boats in Maine. Solid fiberglass hull and overbuilt even by early standards. Unfortunately I have no personal experience with them. If your looking to buy make sure you get a good survey I have heard the early models have wood skegs bolted to the hulls. Did some quick research the only one I could find with major hull modifications was to add a hard chine for racing. Hardly what you are considering. They do roll pretty good in a beam sea (most likely cause the stick built houses were made heavy) so, keeping the house light and adding beam would probably help. Here's a link to the race boat. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNPBui3pm5E

15. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

_
    OK, noted here too, I've edited the post and brought it to the essentials, looks much better now . . :)