Leaking Bimini

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by marinetrader, Feb 28, 2009.

1. marinetrader

marinetrader New Member

I have a sunbrella covered top on my trawler that has begun to leak. Waterproofing it is becomming more of a chore these days so I am considering options.

The sunbrella is covering an aluminum half-tower appx. 10x14'.

Several options present themselves:

1 - Replace the existing sunbrella with vinyl
    2 - Building a hardtop
    3 - Coating the existing sunbrella with resin; that will keep the rain out huh?

Any thoughts on #3?

Thanks

2. Commuter Boats

Commuter Boats Commuter Boats

Number three should be taken off your option list, resin would make the fabric stiff which would soon fatigue and crack( if you can get the resin to stick), is unlikely that am acceptable appearance could be had.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There is a spray on coating that is commonly available in RV supply stores. It's intended for awning protection against UV. It's relatively inexpensive, easy to apply and it extends the life of the fabric considerably. In Alaska you'd only need apply it every few years, just spray it on and let it dry.

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

!0 x 14 isn't big. Why not simply order an acrylic grommeted boat tarp brand new? Is the shape complicated or only a rectangle?

5. Typhoon

Typhoon Senior Member

If you like the look of acrylic, go with Sunbrella Plus next time, it has a urethane coating applied to the inside. Vinyls are not bad but shrink like crazy and crack, negating their waterproofness.
    The modern vinyls just don't last as long as the older stuff either, something changed with them, I am not sure what exactly.
    Reproofing acrylic canvases is at best a yearly proposition once you start doing it.
    Another option is what a friend did on his catamaran, had thin (two layers CSM, one cloth)a sheet of fibreglass laminate made with a gelcoat on one side and simply riveted and sikaflexed it to the existing frame.

Regards, Andrew.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.