laminate schedule

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by bearwen, Nov 5, 2005.

1. bearwen

bearwen Junior Member

Ok can anyone tell me where I can find info, formulas, etc.. to figure out what laminate schedule I need for my boat? I am looking at building several boats both power and sail and there will be catamarans also. I am looking for info on core materials to use what size mating and biaxe, triaxe etc... and how many layers and what weight etc... I know that there are many factors to determine what I need. I am looking for information on where I can find this and study and calculate what I need.
    Thank you all for your input.

2. jfblouin

jfblouin Senior Member

Dave Gerr's "Boat Strengh" give you a good idea. Good scantling rules. Maybe not enough precise for boatbuilder but very good for amateur

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

http://vectorply.com/lamdesign/vectorlam_sw.htm
    VectorLAM is a free, and fairly powerful, Excel-based program for calculating laminate schedules and strength parameters. It's a bit tricky to learn but worth the effort. It includes the ABS and DNV classification formulae. You do need a bit of composites experience to get the most out of it though.