Infusion at altitude

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Ctowles, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Ctowles

Ctowles Junior Member

So i live in western wyoming. Its 6300 ft elevation here in town. Im building a whitewater dory out of corecell with a plascore interior. I have been using wet layup vacuum bagging to layup all parts. Its gone pretty well, but is time consuming and a bit tenuos trying to get large layups done before the epoxy starts to gel. I would like to infuse my parts but have been hesitant to do so due to the elevation. Im using a 3.5 cfm thomas veneer pump which pulls 26.5" at sea level. Here in my shop the pump pulls 20.5-21" on its best day, usually for small layups i shoot for 18-20", for large layups with more leaks i usually look for 15-18". Ive done a ton of reading and research on the subject in addition to searching google and youtube. The process looks pretty simple and just a slight variation on what i am doing and will not require much more gear than what i already have. However, in reading it sounds like trying to pull an infusion with 20" might not be enough vac. I have thought about trying to add additional pump capacity...potentially in the form of a compressor and venturi. Even still, say i have a perfect bag no leaks and can find a venturi that pulls 28" or so. With the two pumps running together in a perfect environment at max capacity of 28", with the elevation gain i lose 6.3" so im looking at 22" in the best concievable scenerio. Only another 1.5" more mercury than i am already getting. Seems like alot of extra work, time and money for not alot of additional suction.

So what do i do to deal with this, can i pull an infusion at 20.5-22" , or should i stick to wet bagging. Infusion looks to me to be so much faster and easier and less messy. Id like to give it a shot but ive already wasted enough glass and epoxy on this build and have not desire to try this if i wont work. Ill prob stick with my current program to finish this boat but i would like to experiment with infusion for next time and also just for my general knowledge. Any advice for my scenerio? Any other rocky mountain builders out there?

2. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

No problem at all,its the low viscosity resin that makes it all work and of course the flow media.Shade cloth for me was slow and didn't travel that far,green or red flow mesh is much much faster.You can do a test with just glass,this what I did and I'm only able to get to 25".The big problem is the flow media consumes a lot of resin like 40 grams a sq/ft so it only makes sense to infuse on thick laminates with perforated core so it does both sides in one shot.
    For a cheap test you could use Ve resin, low viscosity its just hard to control kick times.

good luck and keep your inlet tube small and infuse slowly for best results.