Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Construction > Boatbuilding > Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 02-05-2012, 01:14 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 7
Infusing Panels and Ribs at same time?

I am looking for feedback on infusing the Panel and a stiffening rib at the same time. In the attached .pdf the panel is approx 50" by 96" and the stiffener is about 3" wide by 1" high. Should I infuse the panel first and then place a foam core for the Rib and infuse that as a secondary process? Or can I lay the Panel and Cloth and Foam Core for Rib and Cloth over Rib all at once? Will the Resin Reach the area under the Rib Foam and wet out the cloth between the panel surface and the Rib?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Door.pdf (1.24 MB, 121 views)

Old 02-05-2012, 01:41 AM

Rep: 1658 Posts: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshowalt View Post
... Will the Resin Reach the area under the Rib Foam and wet out the cloth between the panel surface and the Rib?
Its a good idea, but I guess the problems is that you will not know if the wetout was successfully unless you later drill an inspection hole - or two, or three.

The placement of the vacuum lines will be critical, but even then you wont be able to see it working or - not.

Is it worth the time and trouble of a few test runs on small samples, versus doing it in two stages ?

It seems at first glance that the second stage stiffener is such a small component, doing the rib section by hand as stage 2, would probably be the most efficient method overall, unless you have to do many units.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:53 AM

Rep: 1240 Posts: 1,617
You can do this in 1 go. Make sure you have a permeable fiber under the stiffener (unifilo / continuous filament mat) or a rovicore / polymat material.

also a vacuum line on top of the stringer is not a bad idea
Old 02-08-2012, 03:06 AM

Rep: 247 Posts: 359
We do this all the time. Drystack the part, lay on the rib core and lay glass over it. Bag-Shoot-presto! We find that this keeps the part closer to the original shape. Less warping.

-jim lee

Left Coast - Building a boat company from scratch.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:41 AM

Rep: 14 Posts: 56
I have infused a Soric cored deck and a 50cm long X 3cm wide PVC stiffening foam rib in one shot on a kayak before , is the positioning of your rib critical ? I agree you will need a permeable layer under the rib and if a permeable layer is above the rib it will be wet out at the same time (or release film and a flow media).

Old 06-05-2012, 10:52 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 53
It is easy, treat it as one panel.