I would like to build a small boat.

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by silverslayer, Feb 17, 2008.

1. silverslayer

silverslayer New Member

I would like to build a small boat. 12' or under. I was thinking something like a craig cat. But it would not have to be a twin hull. I'm a metal detectorist/scuba diver. A boat that I could crawl onto would be great. I don't need the 40HP engine of the craig cat. A trolling motor would work, because the main lake that I hunt does not allow gas motors. But some thing stable is a must when crawling onto it with 75-100#s of gear. I was thinking fiberglass of some construction type. I have a little experience with plain old bondo brand resin. Example custom tricycle seat pan. But that is about the extent of it. I have lots of wood working experience. It would probably be cheaper to just buy a craig cat. But I like to build things. Any thoughts or advise would be great. Thanks.

2. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Sorry no one replied to you sooner. I started out too many years ago with a small kit. There are many on the market and it's easy to research. Even this site has recommendations. You need to learn the language, Sheer, bilge, chine .... and the best way is to build a small boat starting with the materials you are most familiar with using. Rowing boats are good as are Kayaks and canoes. Build one that you will use, and enjoy. This site and the many forums are very helpful so don't hesitate to ask questions.

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

silverslayer,
    My advice:
    1) Budget $40 or so for a set of tried and tested plans
    2) Go for it!

Phil Bolger has designed a few small power skiffs that might fit your needs (simple build, suitable for electric power, stable with piles of gear); plans are sold by H.H. Payson at http://www.instantboats.com/powerboats.htm

It is standard practice for first-time home builders to also check the Glen-L catalogue at https://www.boatdesigns.com/departments.asp?dept=2 , they have a ridiculous number of reasonably good, cheap plans available.

4. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Marsh, I was trying to stay away from just plans for a very nube. Especially if there is any lofting involved. My son asked the same question and my advise to him was to at least get the basic kit with the stations laser cut, so when he builds the strong back he will have a better shot of the boat coming out straight, but if Silverslayer feels comfortable at working off plans then of course he should go for it.

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

If you can use a square, tape measure, circular saw, hammer, drill, paintbrush, etc. then Bolger's entire "Instant Boats" series is within easy reach; there's no lofting and no jigs needed for these boats. CNC-cut kits definitely do make the build quicker, but I'm not convinced they're necessary so long as the plans are drawn well in the first place. When I built my Bolger-designed runabout ("Diablo"-class plans) in grade eight, I had little carpentry and minimal fibreglass experience; the build went quite smoothly and people still complement the boat everywhere I take it.
    If time is of the essence, by all means get a CNC-cut kit and glue it together.... I don't think there's as much satisfaction in that, though. If all I want is a boat, I'll go to the local marina and buy one of those $400 aluminum skiffs- if I want the satisfaction of getting exactly what I want, the way I want it, I'll build it myself. But that's just me....

6. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Me too.

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i have plans for the boat in my A.V. hehe ;)
    is all the things your looking for ;)

8. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Are you sure a simple raft on a couple pontoons won't work? I've seen some old Popular Mechanics plans on eBay, and I ran across a project on the internet where a couple of guys managed to build one out of huge PVC tubes and foam panels before they ran out of beer.

9. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

hafta agree Marshall here
    i may advise someone to go look up CARLSONS, you can download this easy design package and pull the boat anyway you want
    i would stay right away from Stitch, and I would build a boat on a jig over frames, of plywood, most satisfying to say the least

10. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Strange that we haven't heard from the person who started this thread.

I have built 2 boats from kits and 2 boats from plans, the largest was a 68' Bruce Roberts sloop. Then I stopped that and now I am rebuilding Project boats. From my experience I feel that If you have never been around boat building you should (at least)get the "frames" that lazyjack mentioned pre cut. Then you have a better chance of being successful on your first try. Most newbies do not realize how important these throw-away frames are for accuracy and this is what ruins a new build. It is also a great motivator. The stations on the strong back go together quickly and it is exciting to see the outline of your boat, but it is all in the level of confidence, and money that the builder has, and only the builder can determine that

11. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

im in the "buy a hull and start their" group,,,,hey,,,i feel kinda lonely hehe ;)
    and when we used ta sea urchin,,we just had barrels,,4 of em,,,and it was an old wall from a "clubhouse" that we strapped to it,,and i think that silver dude maybe decided hunting squirrels was easier hehe ;)

12. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

well thats true Ker, but why not make the frames part of it
    I am a firm believer in full scale lofting and the best book I ever had on it was by Howard Chapple, How on earth people expect to to the joiner detail without I have no idea, , most important the lines plan view, pick up bevals etc, ah well its all been written before Many start threads and never return
    Some people here are very patient and treat all requests seriously Some posters are terrible dreamers and even liars, one just has to smile

13. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

We try--
    I also did my own lofting. I bought Herreshoff notebook "plans" from MIT and plugged them into a CAD program (so I cheated). Actually I had to adjust the numbers in real life, and I own a beat up copy of Chapple's book.

I just wanted to be able to say I did it, but now I have to agree with Jim. (I think that's a first) There are too many good hulls that are going to salvage that can be re-built, 'Glass as well as some pretty wooden hulls that are being offered for free. You just have to do the "I built it" thing a couple of times to get it out of your system, which I can relate to, then go out and get the real size hull that you really want but can't build and spend a few years re-building it. Then you will end up with your retirement boat, West Wind. Opps, talking about myself again.......