Hull ripples?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by cammo, Feb 22, 2006.

1. cammo

cammo Junior Member

Hi all,

My modest rebuild of a of a 14ft fibreglass runabout is moving along, with the interior nearly done, and I am starting to look at the hull for fairing and paint.

I have noticed on a lower surface between chines (a bit that was hidden by the trailer skids) that there are some ripples in the exterior surface (about a foot long), underneath one of the stringers.

The rippling outlines the stringer edges but is only slight and it looks to be the pressure pressing down causing the outlining of the edge and bedding under the stringer. there is no major gelcoat cracking etc.

What do you think of this?

I have checked the stringer and it is solid and reglassed the inner hull with epoxy and mat and re tabbed the bulkheads etc to provide some reinforcement.

my question is: Is it expected in older boats to show the structural members on the exterior?

I will try to post some images, but the photos I took of the area were average at best! here are a few of the rest, as you can see it is an older hull, but is solid with the usual scrapes, dings etc.

This is a bit vague, but appreciate your assistance, would hate to have to scrap the beast now..

Cheers

Jason Oz

Attached Files:

2. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

If there's no cracking dont worry about it. It's probably been there for a long time. sounds like it maybe a defect in the mould from over use.

3. cammo

cammo Junior Member

all ok me thinks

Hi all had a closer look and noticed some stress cracks, so sanded them down to see and they just went through the gel coat and stoped well short of the glass. I am now planning on gouging out the cracks with the dremel and filling with thickened epoxy then fairing the lot.

wahoo!

4. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

These "ripples" are common, and caused when the stringers were 'glassed in. Fiberglass generates heat as I'm sure you knew, and also shrinks as it cures, and this is what caused the slight deformation you described. No big deal, though the gel coat stress cracks suggests the panel is flexing. The reinforcements you added should cure that problem. Nice boat! Let's have some pics when she's done.:D