How to/best way to touch up urethane paint runs…?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by paularey, Nov 27, 2005.

1. paularey

paularey Junior Member

I’ve a sailboat interior paint job I just recently finished doing with some gloss white PPG polyurethane paint. I am very happy for the most part with the project but for a couple of runs in a few spots! I was wondering how the best way would be to touch these areas up…? I’ve still got the general area masked so I was thinking of spot sanding the runs out and lightly painting that area again with a small touch-up spray gun. Any input on a better way or the best way to do this type of touch-up would be greatly appreciated. Just hoping I can touch the areas up without it being to noticeable as different from the surrounding/adjacent paint. Any help appreciated.

2. the_sphincter

the_sphincter *

If you respray, you probably shouldn't mask it off while you're spraying. Let the overspray blend into the rest of the unsanded area or else you'll get a line where the tape was.

3. wdnboatbuilder

wdnboatbuilder Senior Member

Ther is a way but it takes alot of work. I have sanded the area down to 2000 grit wet dry paper. then breakout the buffing pad and some buffing compound. starting with grit and then with polish. has worked out well for me in the past. when you touch up then you will have to do this any way to blend the edges.

4. paularey

paularey Junior Member

I guess one of my questions should be just how bad will the touch-up white on white overspray from touching up the run area stand out/show. I’m looking for a semi decent/quick way to touch-up the run area. I’m not looking for a show car finish just don’t want the areas to stand out noticeable from the rest of the area (boat interior).

5. wdnboatbuilder

as soon as you touch it with sand paper it will dull. thats why you use rubbing compound and polish

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There is a tool for that. It looks like a little wood plane with a razor knife blade. It shaves the run, then you buff the area.

7. wdnboatbuilder

yes I have seen that but never have used. sounds easy enough