High-temp Fiberglass

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by chris7891011, Mar 4, 2006.

1. chris7891011

chris7891011 New Member

Ok, this isnt a question about boats but I need to know of a resin that will hold together in high temp. applications. I'm designing some headlights for my car and I dont want to have to mess with plastics when I already know fiberglass. Is there a resin that is rated for higher temps? Normal resin likes to break down and crack when subject to the temp of the lights im going to be using. Thanks for any help I can get.
    Chris

2. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

The old Dow 470-36 novalac high cross link Vinyl ester was a good resin for that application I have Boats and Molds out of it also, Now Ashland has bought the Dow resin line I do not know what it is currently called!

3. Buckle

Buckle Composite Engineer

Chris,

You will find, all resin suppliers/manufactures will produce a resin with high, if not very high HDT's (heat distortion temperature). Provided you chose a resin with a HDT higher that its operating temperature you should be fine.

However there is a catch 21 assosiated with HDT. HDT is highly dependant upon its cure/post cure cycle.

For example, a typical resin may have a HDT of 55 degs C after a month at room temperautre.
    Alternatively this same degree of cure could be achieved with 16hours at 40 degs C. Its suprising how the degree of cure is depend upon temperature.

A higher state of cure would be achieved by cooking the laminate at even higher temperatures say 3 hours @ 80 or 120. Basically the higher you cook your laminate, the higher its HDT to a point.

On a slightly different note, it sounds like your using the resin as an adhesive. May I suggest you look at some epoxy adhesives, with a high hdt. You would be able to gurantee your work then.

4. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

The Dow 470 series have a HDT around 295-305 degrees F That’s why I recommended it!

5. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

ok so what can you use to repair a Vernatone muffler and some weedhead steps on it and breaks off a chunk:confused:

6. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

Sorry Ray been busy all we ever used was our laminating resin to glass the exhaust systems together nothing special, you will have to do a wrap around the broken piece and the muffler assuming it broke at the coupling.

7. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

I bought another one on ebay for $40 but tomorrow we are going back to work on the boat so I keep some pics of the new cockpit going together.