help removing deck

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by littletunny, Feb 11, 2006.

1. littletunny

littletunny New Member

I need to remove a rotted wooden deck on a fiberglass 16ft boat.I have cut the bulk out but I don't know how the wood is attacted to the inside of the hull.So I left 6in of wood all the way around before I try to remove it.I want to foam it then 3/8 plywood then glass it.I'm new to this but work in construction so I think I can do this.I see the expertize on this site and hope that someone can help this very green biulder.Thank you very much.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you're going to put plywood into the laminate, then skip the foam. The reverse is also true, though you'll need a lot more 'glass work to complete the project. Without an idea of what boat you're working on, it will be difficult to provide little more then basic answers. Wood is generally "tabbed" to the glass, though it can be screwed or bolted on bedding compound to a flange. All depends on the design.

Got pictures, year, model, milk etc.?

3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I left a 6" ledge like that on my "beater" boat because I didn't want to bother breaking it loose from the hull. The floor was in good shape on the edges I left so I added strips to the top of the stringers to bring them up to the level of the old floor edges and then put the new floor in screwing it to the stringers, and then on the edges screwing it to the old floor beneath. The width of the floor was 4'6" and I didn't want to bother piecing stuff together so I put a 4' piece in which left a 3" channel on each side which I figured I could live with. The channel has turned out to be real useful in "channeling" water to the bilge pump in back instead of sloshing back and forth across the deck when castnetting or any other time water gets in there, and I would do it that way on purpose if I had to do it again. Sam