help in fiberglass pollution and waste reduction

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by surmeli, Dec 10, 2005.

1. surmeli

surmeli New Member

i m doing a dissertation on -pollution and waste reduction strategies in fiberglass boatbuilding-. i need urgent help! i need some regulations, strategies, kinds of pollutions, how to reduce etc... thank you all in advance.

2. Deering

Deering Senior Member

Air emissions from resin VOC's is a big issue for composite hull boat builders in some cities due to regulatory restrictions. One strategy being used is 'resin infusion', where the mold and reinforcements are enclosed with an airtight membrane and the resin is drawn into the the reinforcements via closed tubing by drawing a vacuum on the mold. Off-gassing of emissions from the operation can be controlled in the vacuum system using filters, etc. This method also offers other advantages in quality control, assembly efficiency, and reduced boat weight.

Hope this helps.

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

There still seems to be very little emphasis on end-of-life issues with composite boats. The resins and fibres are extremely persistent and even once they have lost their structural strength, they do not readily deteriorate. I am not aware of any successful means of recycling fibreglass hulls. It's a sad fact that every boat will eventually meet its demise; more often than not that involved being unceremoniously dumped off a truck in some junkyard. I do believe more attention needs to be given to this aspect of boating, in much the same manner as some car companies now try to ensure 80-90% recyclability in their new vehicles.

4. surmeli

surmeli New Member

thank you all for your replies.

5. Deering

Deering Senior Member

Good point. I understand that many boats destroyed by Katrina in New Orleans are being "chippered" and used as stabilizing fill along the coast. At least the material is inert so it won't be leaching out nasties.