Help!!

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Dagan, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Dagan

Dagan Junior Member

I just recently purchased (for next to nothing) a 1978 Hydra-Sports bass boat. I've contacted Hydra-Sports and it seems they have changed hands a few times over the past 30 years. Unfortunatly they could not help me identify my boat. I was hoping that someone out there knew something about these boats. I would really like to know what model it is. It is now completely gutted. My next step is to split the boat and finish repairing/replacing stringers, floor etc. I've learned a lot in the past few weeks reading this forum, and hope someone could help me. I will post pics in next couple days to help. It is pretty raw. It sat uncovered for who knows how long and was totaly water logged. Boy, that foam really can get moldy!!! After some work and paint it should look like new again. (I Hope)

Thanks

2. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

Lots of fun! just finished one. I used nidacore for stringers and transom. Never rot again.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  3. Dagan

Dagan Junior Member

Transom seems good. Stringers are BAD. I can't tell from the pic, did you split the boat in two? I wish I could find some info on Hydra-Sports boats, because I would really like to know what it is! Going to split in in about two weeks. Should be interesting. Thanks for the info on nidacore I will have to do some research, because I've never heard of the material before. I am in the lumber industry and there are a ton of different composite material out there, but I'm still finding out if fiberglass will bond to solid PVC boards.

Any help is appreciated

4. dereksireci

dereksireci Senior Member

Nida core in transom

Be careful about using nidacore on a transom that will be subject to the compressive loads of engine mounting bolts. For a rowboat or sailboat it is fine. For an outboard or sterndrive choose a product that has higher compressive strength or else your motor bolts will crush it. (20-24 lb/cubic ft urethane, Michigan composites, coosa board, penske board...)

djs