have molds now what

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by jasman, Sep 4, 2006.

1. jasman

jasman Junior Member

I recently purchased a number of canoe molds and kayak molds at an auction. Now I need to learn how to fibreglass/kevlar them. I am willing to trade the use of the molds for someone who can teach me how to properly fibreglass/kevlar them.
    thanks

2. Jesseleey

Jesseleey Junior Member

kayak molds

Hey where did you get the molds from? What auction? And where can I find them? Thanks..

J. Young

3. jasman

jasman Junior Member

I'm in Canada, just north of Toronto. I happened to look in the local paper and they were advertised in an upcoming auction. I've canoed and kayak for a great many years and plan on building a wooden one this fall.
    I got a 12,14 and 16 foot canoe mold for 1 dollar each. Yes, a buck.
    The white water kayak mold was 20 and the rec kayak was 40. Not bad but I now need to learn how the fibreglass them.
    thanks

4. Jesseleey

Jesseleey Junior Member

Molds

Thats really cool man. I wish I could have those. I live in texas and do alot of kayak fishing. But the market is so hot here for fishing kayaks that I want to make them and make a few bucks of my own. I know how to do a little fiberglass work. What do the yak molds look like? Can you just pour fiberglass concentrate in them and then work with it? Or is it a build around mold?

5. jasman

jasman Junior Member

They're like large bath tubs so I assume I can pour the fibreglass into them. Yes, its pretty cool. I went hoping to buy a mold for maybe 3/400 dollars and coming home with the lot.

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

If you can find 'Boat Builders Manual'---Building Fiberglass Canoes And Kayaks For Whitewater, by Charles Walbridge Copyright 1982 by Menasha Ridge Press
    http://www.menasharidge.com/default.htm
    that will give you a good start. Otherwise look for canoe and kayak sites and ask there. Or ask someone who might have used the molds themselves. Any chance the canoe mold looks like this? Sam

Attached Files:

7. jasman

jasman Junior Member

Thankyou for the responce. I've been getting a number of sites that seem to be able to provide me with alot of info. The molds I have are fairly new and were made by a fellow in his shop. Sorry, they don't look like the one in the picture you provided.
    thanks again for the info.

8. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

do u have a place to make them like a heated shop weathers turning cold and the resin will not set up right. iam in toronto so might be able to show u ive built a few over the years

9. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

Jack, you can lay up in my winter storage spot at the Docks.

10. jasman

jasman Junior Member

thanks for the offer to chill.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.