Hand layup on foam tips and tech

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by shizlenut, Apr 9, 2011.

1. shizlenut

shizlenut Junior Member

I am ready to begin the laminating procedure on my roof section. I am hoping for advice, tips and tricks to insure a great bond to my foam.

I will be using airex c70 foam laminated with 1708 and then a layer of 1.5 oz mat.

As I understand it, the steps go as such, please add anything I am missing.

Clean foam free of dust with vacuum and air

Apply thin resin layer

Saturate 1708

Apply 1708 mat down and sart working on with a laminating roller and brush
    to work out bubbles

Saturate and apply 1.5 oz mat in same manner.
    Wait for cure

I have heard some may cut the resin a little with acetone before pre coating the foam to thin it and allow resin to penetrate foam deeper. Is this a good idea or BS. Kind of scares me to get acetone in my resin.

How do I know I have the correct resin to glass ratio? Should I see a glossy layer of resin on top of the laminate or is that too much? Should I see it is fully saturated yet has the glass texture on the surface or is that too little.

In doing some testing I have noticed that while rolling laminate, the resin comes to surface looking very wet. When I stop rolling the glossy wet resin soaks back into the glass leaving a mat texture and a matte or flat, non glossy look. Is this indicating I have the correct glass to resin ratio or am I a little light on resin? How should my laminate look when it's got the correct ratio?

I have also read some people will purposely under saturated the next layer if they believe the first is over saturated and allow the second layer to absorb the excess resin. Is this smart, or does a novice run the risk of soaking up too much of the resin bonding the first layer to the foam?

If you have any tips or tricks to help me insure my hand layup on foam goes smoothly and last a long time please fill me in.

Thanks for your time.

I have heard of possibly

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Please read the replies to your post inline, in red