got bit... info needed on FG repair (transom/stringers)

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by dem45133, Aug 1, 2006.

1. dem45133

dem45133 Junior Member

Its been many years, and although I still have a 1962 plywood runabout I bought in 1970... I was recently treated to Lake Erie in a 25 ft sport fisherman.

Got bit big time!.

I know of a '76 27 ft Sportcraft for sale and am thinking serious on it. Since I never got wealthy in this lifetime... the old boat path is the only do-able way (still figuring out how to deal with the $1.50/per minute operating cost at cruise with it's 454 full inboard. The good part.. as compared to animals.. it only eats when its running, although I am sure there are some boat owners who would believe they eat while parked too!). I have sheds here so no storage cost.

I am extremely handy and skilled and am not afraid of repairs. Hull is clean, topsides a little sunburnt with a poorly performed paint job (top only, hull is original gelcoat) That will clean up and repaint (re-gel maybe). Engine is a low time rebuild. Prop is massive (yea massive) and perfect. Spec calls for 27 knot cruise and 40 knot max (I bet it REALLY loves its fuel then, but I never run any engine at 100% for more than just a few seconds).

I've been informed that the boat needs a new stringer for sure, and one ought to look at the transom. I am assuming that a 30 year old hull may likely need all its wood replaced.

Can anyone point me to information doing these wood replacements (transom and stringers)?. What the best approach is, what kind of wood, etc.

Oh.. one more question, can anyone tell me if a permit is needed to tow a 10 ft beamed boat? I'm personally am not worried about it...as I spent time OTR years ago. My heavy 3/4 ton can pull it. Just wondered what the permits cost (ohio) or if they bother to care about it. OR just stay at the 25 ft mark and a 8.5 ft beam. Big difference though (I'm told) in how they handle Lake Erie though.

I know, I'll come to my senses here soon... well maybe.

Thanks,

Dave
    Hillsboro, Ohio

2. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

just have a look at posts from the past lots of info on stringers and transoms

3. dem45133

dem45133 Junior Member

Thanks fiberglass jack, and I did serach the forum. Seemed it was mostly opinion. I am looking more for good instructional links for the wood replacement.

Also still would like info on towing a 10 ft beamed 27ft boat... is this asking for trouble if not permitted or CDL'd. Skills are not an issue, I yanked 48 and 53 102 wides all over the country for three years, but this was pre-CDL days. Didn't grandfather my chauffer's license.

Dave

4. Deeman

Deeman Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.