Good book on foam cored, hand laminated?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Roly, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Roly

Roly Senior Member

Well,my rebuilt hull is now faired and I have to make a decision wether to build
    a new deck in the female mold shown or repair the old deck/coach roof. The current deck/c.r. is pretty crappy so I favour repairing the steel support structure on a mold we have available, and laying up a foam cored replacement.
    There are a few irregularities (2mm depressions) in the mold, caused by the rusting support structure, and I am loath to fill them. Is it feasible to fill them
    with gelcoat and fair in, once the deck is removed from the mold? I realize the best way would be to grind the mold and re-tool but it is only a one off.
    The mold is a little distorted but I am confident we can correct it and retab
    a steel frame to it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have no experience with laminating cored female molds and would appreciation any good written material on the subject;especially hand layup.

Cheers,
    Roly

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  2. capaworks

capaworks Junior Member

Good book for foam

Check out Ed Hortsman's book on foam contruction.

http://www.edhorstmanmultihulldesigns.com/

The folks at Pedigree yachts in Washington suggest it is a really good book for foam. They've built a bunch of large cruising cats and seem to be on their game with foam.

3. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Should work, a lot of one-off deck plugs are a lot rougher, and molded in non-skid isn't very good anyway.

4. Roly

Roly Senior Member

Yep,the mould has built in grip tread. But it is in ok condition. No trapped gelcoat.
    I am undecided whether to build in polyester,vinyl ester, or epoxy. The hull
    is sheated in epoxy but it would be easier to work with poly for the deck and laminate on with epoxy/biax. (deck to hull)
    We only have two weeks over xmas to build the deck and then back to weekends, so looking for the faster option.
    Any thoughts appreciated........

5. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Use polyester then, been done before.