Going with Epoxy Resin....

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by asianbandit, Oct 19, 2006.

1. asianbandit

asianbandit Junior Member

Ok..I made up my mind; I am going to go with Epoxy Resin. I finally see the numerous advantages of going with Epoxy. But there are a few questions that I have.

1. If I have to use Fiberglass Cloth, what weight should I use for repairing Stringers and should I use the same weight to protect and cover a piece of plywood?

2. What are the Max & Min temperatures for using Epoxy, right now it is 50-60 Fahrenheit where I am located?

Thanks...

2. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

I knew it! You were a CONTRARIAN ALL ALONG!

:D :D :D :D :D

Jimbo

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Epoxy can be tailored to fit within most temperature ranges. I personally have 7 different types of epoxy, mostly relating to temperature, but one is for particularly clear finishes.

Fast epoxy is for colder climates and likely what you'll use, if building during the winter in the great Volunteer state.

Each brand of epoxy has specific recommendations about temperature ranges for their products.

There are numerous threads about this and related epoxy topics on this forum. Use the search thingie on the upper right side of the BoatDesign masthead and start your research on the subjects.

Fabric weights are application specific, much like the sizes of lumber used in a wooden boat. There are different types of fabric, with differing weights, construction and materials. This too, should be researched, so you can get a handle on the terminology, methods and applications in its use.

As a rule you should stick with the weights and general arrangement the manufacture used during construction. This saves the complication of engineering a new piece or laminate schedule. Don't be fooled with "bigger must be better and stronger" it usually isn't and can cause other bigger issues.

I can think of several threads on this board that would help you quite a bit, as this is an often requested repair. When I get some time I'll look up a few and update this post with some links to them.

4. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

There is an epoxy curative for virtually any cure rate you want from so slow If you mixed it tonight it would be March '07 till it cured (BoronTrichloride Amine 6mos @ 25C) to so fast by the time you finished mixing it it would already be hard as a rock (Lewis Acid ~45 secs @ 25C)

Seriously, most suppliers have a selection of several different curing agents to taylor the stuff to your needs (within reason :D ).

Jimbo

5. mtnrat

mtnrat Junior Member

asian, my boat had already been redone once and I do not know what was used originally. I emailed the manufacturer and they said,"Sean I would love to accommodate, however any plans, drawings and in fact boat molds and hardware have been discontinued or destroyed many, many years ago, I’m afraid that whatever you decide to do ... may be of your own design ,.
    So I am up to my own first timer research and the knowledge of those on this board. First off I am going to take careful measurements of where the stringers are located then grind off any poly that is not factory. For me it is easy to tell the difference as the "repair" was a dark grey and the original is a clearish yellow. That is going to take alot of grinding. I am then going to make the stringers to hieght, bed them with epoxy and fillet. Then use biax up the sides of the stringers and coat the whole inside of the hull with epoxy. Make the motor mounts to fit already taken measurements. I have not decided what to put over the top of the stringers yet,(more research). I will then coat the floor ply with epoxy and put it down on the stringers. Making a ski locker too. Epoxy and fibreglass the floor. Then I will flip the hull and take care of the bottom.
    I am making sure I have a game plan totally figured out from start to finish. I want to clearly understand each step of what I am doing BEFORE I mix anything, and make sure I am comfortable in my material choices.
    I started at the very first post in this forum and aim to read every post that has to do with stringers and floor repair. Tons of info here,
    Enough rambling....good luck

6. asianbandit

asianbandit Junior Member

Thanks for all the info guys...

THanks for the replys...i have looked for a while on what weight of Fiberglass Cloth i should use for repairs. I really did not find anything for what i was doing. I guess i will have to do some more research. I am planning on getting my supplies from http://www.jgreer.com/

Has anybody ordered form him before, i called him last night and he was very helpful in letting me know the materials I would need to do my repairs. I just forgot to ask him about the weight of Fiberglass Cloth I should use.

I was planning on getting 1.5 gallons of epoxy resin w/hardner and the Cabosil, aka Aerosil, colloidal silica, fumed silica for reparing some holes in the boat. I figured with Epoxy I could also do hole repair work, above and below the waterline. Any suggestions or thoughts?

7. jkmccoy

jkmccoy New Member

I'm a newbie here. I'm in the middle of a major restoration of a 1972 Uniflite. I've bought all my epoxy resin and related supplies from John Greer. I've also spoken to him on the phone several times (questions about the resin, questions about how to recover from my stupid mistakes). He's a very nice guy. Very helpful. Knows a lot about epoxy. I'm very happy with everything I've purchased from him. I highly recommend his epoxy.

Cheers,
    Kelly McCoy
    West Texas