gluing teak

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by dsmolar, Feb 14, 2006.

1. dsmolar

dsmolar Junior Member

Am planing to make a table for my steering pedestal.What kind of glue would be best to glue the teak with? Water proof carpenters glue, Gorilla glue or something else.

David

2. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

experiment, teak is tough to glue. I think the best choice would be an epoxy type glue.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Gorilla Glue works well too. However, it is more expensive than epoxy

4. dsmolar

dsmolar Junior Member

I had thought about Gorilla glue and wiping the wood with acetone to remove some of the oil.I'm afraid the epoxy would deteriorate in the sun light since it will be outside.I had thought about the Elmers waterproof,not water reststant,but I don't know about the oil in the teak.Ideas?
    David

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Elmer's waterproof glue is a type one adhesive, intended for non-structural and non-continuous submersion applications. If you shape the glue lines like this () or like this <> then the top and bottom edges will be tight, leaving no glue line and plenty of "backed out" glue surface that isn't exposed to UV. Any time you glue teak or other oily woods, you should clean the surface with acetone just before the application of the goo. I'd use epoxy myself, because it doesn't require lots of clamping pressure, nor perfect joints and is a much better glue.

6. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Many teak decks are glued with epoxy and have lasted for many, many years.
    I have also tried Gorilla glue which is called Elephant glue in Europe, but only in interior applications.

7. dereksireci

dereksireci Senior Member

Teakdecking Systems

On the Teakdecking Systems web site, go to the products page.

http://www.teakdecking.com/

They have a chemist who formulates their epoxy which is used for thousands of square feet of teak decking per year. This is what you should use.

djs

8. dsmolar

dsmolar Junior Member

Thanks for all the information.I'll have to think on it for a while.

David

9. Scratchy Dan

Scratchy Dan Junior Member

Gorilla glue works great on tight fitting joints but has poor gap filling qualities. Decks have too many pieces to get perfect Go with the epoxy. If you use Gorilla glue make sure to squeeze air out of the bottle after you use it or you that is the last time you use that bottle. Always use acetone on the glue surfaces of oliy wood a few minutes before you apply the glue, make sure it has flashed off before you apply the expoxy. Dan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.