Glued Lapstrake

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Jim Herbert, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Jim Herbert

Jim Herbert Junior Member

I am hauling my old boat down from Lk Superior this Fall and it will be several more years before my new project boat is ready to go back up.

I need to build a little day sailer in the interim. A Gaff Rigged Cutter. Double Ender. Lapstake. A pretty little boat that will make me forget that I can't afford a Westsail 32 or 43.

I have ordered study plans from Selway Fisher in the UK for such a 16 ft boat.

For complete plans I have to decide whether to order the strip plank version plans or the Lapstrake version plans.

I have built strip planked boats but I would like to try plywood Lapstrake. I would want to glue the lapstrake. I would want a nice painted final appearance.

I would welcome opinions as to whether the seams should be clamped, screwed or stitched. Also whether I should glass the hull. Finally, this boat could be left in the water, I know West 407 filler shouldn't be used below the waterline. Is there a better seam filler short of silica?

P.S. What's your favorite glued Lapstrake reference book?

Jim Herbert
    Edit/Delete Message

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.