glass lay up information for boat speed boat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by elegant bass, Dec 6, 2007.

1. elegant bass

elegant bass New Member

hi need some info on how to calculate glass thickness on speed boat do have the mould to build the boat but don't have the glass lay up information if any one would shed some light on this project of mine i`ll appreciate your help.
    raffi
    17ft x 6ft beam
    boat is for skiing with family and friends if it ends up heavier hull should i use chop mat or other type of material please specify thanks.
    planing on putting two stringer 12mm thick each glass all over + center keel stringer false floor 12mm ply transom3x12mm ply glassed in between each ply. planning on having the hull 8mm thick 12mm transom 6mm sides and top deck is this OK or to light. can i use one type of chop mat or different weight. thanks for all the input.
    raffi

2. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

I have been looking at the same question, since I have a couple of mold in mind and was thinking about the layup schedule myself. I have read that you need anywhere from 1.5 inches to 5 inches of fiberglass on a 30' ft boat. In the 1990's the routine was just to use mat and roving with a vacuum infusion system. For example, take some 20 oz. roving and a layer of 1oz. mat and apply that over about a .125 1/8 inch of gel-coat. So, you would spray your pva (mold release) into the hull mold, right. Now, spray a good coat of gel-coat (about three coats) and let it dry for a couple of hours. Now, for the fiberglass: (You can get mat and roving stiched together, anyway), Lay down a layer of mat, then lay down a layer of roving. Keep laying down mat/roving, mat/roving, mat/roving until your hull thinkness is about a 1.5 inches.

3. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Let me know if you find at anymore than this.

4. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Glass layup schedule

I hear it's about 12mm or (.047 inches) for 40 ft..........but that is just the beginning...............read carefully:!:

5. ct marine nz

ct marine nz Junior Member

Gelcoat
    225csm
    450csm
    300 gm kevlar
    600 edbm - eglass double bias
    1mm coremat from chines down
    600 edbm
    225gm csm -if you want to have it looking tidy
    we use it and never have had a problem whats more important is the secondary bonding of stringers