Is this glass compatible with epoxy?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Canracer, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

I bought 16 yards of this 4 1/2" fiberglass tape at my local discount marine surplus. Now I am wondering about it's compatibility with West System epoxy.

It's not woven, but strands oriented at 90 degrees.
    [​IMG]

I understand that CS mat doesn't mix with epoxy because of a styrene issue. Is this the only thing to consider when laying up with epoxy?

Four 40" sections already laminated in place. The thickest point (where all the tapes overlap) is approx. at the widest section of my NACA0008 foil.
    [​IMG]

Here is the template.
    [​IMG]

2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Looks like biax+-45 so no worries with epoxy..

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

That is 45/45 biax and all 'glass fabrics are comparable with all of the typically available marine grade epoxies. The ones that have less than compatible sizing (styrene soluble stuff), still work, as the sizing simply remains in suspension in the cured goo, rather then being melted by the styrene in polyester resin.

4. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

Cool, thanks guys. I did some reading and saw fiberglass cloth that was "treated to be compatible with epoxy or polyester." That's a new one for me.

5. dougfrolich

dougfrolich Senior Member

Bi-axial implies fibers running along the weft and warp direction that is 90 degrees and 0 degrees as it comes off the roll.
    Double Bias implies fibers running at an angle off the axial direction like +- 45 or sometimes +- 60

6. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

The strands of that tape (or narrow cloth) are oriented 90 degrees to each other, but 45 degrees to the warp and 45 degrees to the weft.
    [​IMG]

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Biaxial fabric labels simply imply there's two layers and not referencing it's orientation. The fibers can be oriented in a number of ways and they've been standardized for many years. Typically these fabrics are generically called knitted and this still doesn't have anything to denote the fiber orientation. 0/90 and 45/45 are the most common orientations. The image directly above isn't a knitted, nor biax fabric, but a woven cloth. There's a huge distinction between the two (knitted/woven) and it's important not to get them confused.

Biax and triax fabrics are simply unidi fabrics, lightly stitched and often slightly sized to each other. The fibers aren't woven, but stitched to each other, which is why they can transmit all most all of the loading through the fibers, before they kink, break or bust out of the resin. Woven fabrics are like cloth, with an interweave at each strand intersection. This places the fibers in an undulating orientation, which when loaded try to straighten out, kinking and crimping the fibers, making a weaker fabric.

The photo above showing the laminated fabric is clearly 45/45 biax and easy to identify.

8. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

I googled weft and this is the image I found on wikipedia. It's for no other reason than to illustrate what warp and weft are.