Getting ready to Finish Hardtop--some questions for the pros

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by searaytuna, Nov 17, 2005.

1. searaytuna

searaytuna Junior Member

I am just about ready to put finishing touches on my recent hardtop fabrication. Here is what I've done so far:

Hard top is a sort of a trapazodial shape that measures 80"x76"

This is what I've used so far:
    1" polyester foam core
    Top layer: Foam--10oz cloth--1.5oz mat--10oz cloth used about 3gallons of resin
    Bottom layer: Foam--6oz cloth--8oz cloth used approximately 1.5gallons of resin

All in all, this has been a learning experience and though it was pretty frustrating when the resin started gelling before I can use it, it has been pretty fun nevertheless. I can't wait to get to my boat tomorrow morning to work on this thing some more.

Question: For the size, did I use too much resin? the mat material really soaked up resin like there is no tomorrow!! I didn't use a mold(didn't have one) so I have some spots with protrusions and some small spot areas that have fiberglass bubbles(?). Can I sand these areas and then just put fairing compound over it? or do I need to patch it up with cloth & resin?

To acheive the smoothest possible surface, I was thinking of putting fairing compund, but how much of this compound before considered using in excess? Also, the guy at the plastic supply company(where I got my material from) told me I can use automotive filler to do my fairing, is this recommended for a marine application? 1 gallon of that stuff is like $12 whereas west system filler by what seems like about 1L is like $20. whAT SHOULD i DO? I just spent about 3 times more on fiber and resin than my original estimate and I am just about out of money.. :(

Thanks for any direction or advice that can be given to me.

JW

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Bondo is a poyester putty. It works fine on above the waterline applications. It will need primer before you paint it to fill the pores.

3. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Float on a slurry of gelcoat or resin mixed with Q-cell.

Yoke.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.