Gel coat machine help

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by brokensheer, Jun 4, 2016.

1. brokensheer

brokensheer Senior Member

I picked this up at an auction , and would like to get it ready for service, can anyone help me with operation manuals

Attached Files:

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

It's not worth fixing, or even using if it did work. Sorry.

3. brokensheer

I don't know if it does or doesn't thanks for the reply,, what would you recommend using?

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

That system relies on just air pressure to deliver both gel coat and catalyst, there is nothing on that type of system to meter either accurately. You can adjust tip size and pressure for each, but unless you calibrate (measure the delivery of each for a specified amount of time) every time you use it you don't have a clue as the catalyst ratio. And even if you do calibrate it it will change constantly while using it, that's why the industry went totally away from this type of equipment.

You can get a small system with a gel coat pump and a smaller slave pump that delivers catalyst, they tend to be rather accurate. MVP is the biggest player in the market, and has good stuff with readily available parts.

I should add that if you just used the gel coat side and manually pre mixed the catalyst it would be fine, but then you run into pot life issues if it's hot out, or on a larger project.

5. brokensheer

Thank you, You explained it very well ! so I guess its might be OK to keep the gun for small hot pot jobs, ! I can see a lot of waste in the use of this,, All the best

6. compo

compo Previous Member

Its home made external mix set up !!

What you have is a home made unit the sprays catalyst misted in the air that sprays the gel coat !! That's really old hat and was tried by many people but caused so many problems they all gave up . The thought was there but in practice didn't work :confused::eek:

Is better to just take the pot and the gun and hoses and regulators off and turn it into a standard pressure pot gel coat unit . Those catalyst injectors were mostly Glass craft units with two glass tubes and a floating ball to regulate the catalyst flow with ! Horrible system and impossible to keep adjusted properly when it was running !!

7. brokensheer

Thanks !