Fixing my rotten floor on flats bay boat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by bronconut, May 19, 2006.

1. bronconut

bronconut New Member

I would appreciate your knowledge in helping me accomplish this job with satisfaction. First off, I have a 20 foot flats boat, a scooter (no sides). I removed the floor and am planning on replacing the stringers as well.
    1. If I use 1/2" marine plywood do I need to seal the bottomside (underneath) with resin/epoxy?

2. If I used CDX and seal the underside as well, will it last 5-10 years?

3. Being that it is a flats/shallow water boat how many layers of fiberglass mat would be suffice. I was thinking 2 layers of 1.5 oz. for the floor..

4. What type of wood could I use for the 1x2" stringers. I was thinking pressure treated 1x4 pine, split down the middle....

5. Lastly, if I used polyester resin to coat the underneath of the floor what could I expect?

Thanks in Advance

2. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

If you search on this forum for stringer replacement you will find all you need to know.

3. bronconut

bronconut New Member

Thanks for your input Jim. I have searched the forum, but couldn't find anything as listed below. Otherwise I would not have posted this question...Thanks again for your abundant knowledge.

1. Specific to a flats boat (in other words, less weight the better)
    2. An answer on the amount of layers of fiberglass

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.