Fiberglass questions... (research paper for school)

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by youngcamaro87, Nov 1, 2010.

1. youngcamaro87

youngcamaro87 Junior Member

I am currently in the making of a research paper for school..
    I'm doing mine on "fiberglass" with most of it based around the history, what it is, how it's made and the different types of resins and fiberglass materials such as: woven, cloth, and chopped strand mat..for my senior project, I plan to build a nice sized radio controlled boat with a weedeater engine..:p

But anyways! as part of the project, I must have an interview..
    and I have feeling that interviewing somebody over the internet would be easiest, so here I am at this forum..and instructor okay'd it!

I just simply need to know a few things..maybe lil more than few, but not much..
    The questions are below..they are off the top of my head, so if anyone knows of a good question to ask, I would love to have it..thanks!!

Questions:

1. What is personal preference of resin, and why?
    2. What type of fiberglass material do you recommend using due to personal experience, and why?
    3. Why did you begin using fiberglass? (Or what influenced you?)
    4. Favorite thing(s) about fiberglass?
    5. What do you use it on?
    6. Extra comments? or nic-nac knowledge?

Anybody who will answer these questions I appreciate it greatly!
    I may need a name, or nick name if prefered, of the person who wants to help me out and volunteer for the interview..that will probably be all the information I need, if not I'll fool with that later on!

THANK YOU BIG TIME!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

2. youngcamaro87

This may be wrong place to post this, but I'm new to site...
    Sorry if it is

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I can help you with that. Do you need to do an interview on chat, skype or pm/email work?

4. youngcamaro87

I'll send a message to you with the questions if that's cool! I doubt it needs to be too serious of an interview, just some type of communication I guess haha

5. youngcamaro87

hmm...I hope you received message, I sent you an e-mail/message and later read on the forum that a person new to the site had to post on at least 5 threads and be a member for over a day..I went through the steps with no interruptions so I'm not sure if it sent or not..I'm thinking not..let me know..I'm thinking that I could simply post questions here and you could send me an e-mail if you would prefer to not post your email here for everyone to see...

..QUESTIONS..
    2. What type of fiberglass material do you recommend using due to personal experience, and why?
    7. Relation to hobby? (if any)

My e-mail is "vandavis94@gmail.com"..

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

7. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

QUESTIONS..
    Personal preferrence is not poly or orth resin but epoxy resin. That however is not what I have been building in, cos of cost and builder preference factors. Most boats have been made from the poly resins, as they have been around the longest and have been the least expensive (I am a commercial builder). It is price that dictates the type of resin to use in most commercial applications. Vinyl ester resins are used in the tie layers to assist with the osmosis problems, but again the boats are finally finished underwater with 300 microns of solventless epoxy resin.
    All types are used in construction, if solid layups, then csm and woven rovings will be the main ingredients. Composites will use axial weaves like bi ax and tri ax. Sheathing for waterproofness uses fine woven cloths, so all the types are used, for different reasons and end purposes.
    It is the cheapest and simpliest method to do mass produced boats. I started using ortho poly resin in 1966.
    I just love laying in bed at night after grinding out old rovings when making repairs, there is nothing on earth like the itch you get for 4 days after every job....
    30 to 86 foot semi displacement boats.
    Epoxy resin is a far superior resin for boatbuilding in almost every case. It is far more waterproof (handy in a boat), has extremely versatile uses, such as glue, filler, fairing and sealing.
    7. Relation to hobby? (if any)
    Yes, motorbikes and shooting are my hobbies, so many parts can be made with the plastic resins.

8. youngcamaro87

Thank you landlubber! It's ok that I use that in my research paper? also, can I get your name to use in my citation? Thanks again!:)