Fiberglass Help

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by d522250, May 23, 2006.

1. d522250

d522250 New Member

I just recently aquired a new boat project. It is a fiberglass fishing boat, I was really excited when I got it cause I paid next to nothing for it. But I soon learned it need to be redecked. The issue is I have already cut out the old floor and got a new floor to lay in the boat. I have already sealed the underside with epoxy resin and I was wondering before I lay 24oz fiberglass on the topside do I need to water seal the top like the bottom or can I go ahead and lay fiberglass and not worry about it. Any help would be great. Thanks
    Will

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

You should seal (coat) the top of the plywood before glassing it, if you don't the wood may suck the epoxy out of the glass and leave dry areas that will need to be repaired.

3. bluethunder12

bluethunder12 Junior Member

indeed you need to seal the wood just curiosabout the expoxy why not use regular resin i replaced my floor and stringer system and used a regular production resin it was about $60 for a 5 gall bucket as far as sealing i allways sealed front and back with resin before putting it together then layered it in 11/2 ounce glass never bought no water sealer

4. eyes

eyes Junior Member

5. eyes

eyes Junior Member