Fiberglass ding vs gelcoat ding repair

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Brian Clark, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Brian Clark

Brian Clark New Member

I have a dime sized ding in my gel coat that does go in about 1/4 inch. I see a little of the fiberglass in the ding. I don't know much about this. Can I just mix up the epoxy in the gelcoat repair kit or do I need some sort of fiberglass repair? when do you use the gel coat repair vs the fiberglass repair?

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Most repairs of that size in a deck or side of the hull can be done with just gel coat, any bigger, or in a high stress area and you may need to you some glass in it. If it's below the water line you may want to check to see if there's more damage and use a little stronger method.

3. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

heres the quickest and easy way to fix it
    1 sand the ding with 80 grit paper 2 get some gelcoat try and get the color as close as posable with pigment that the repair kit will include 3 get some scotch tape 4 mix the gel and hardner and place in the ding then place the tape over it this should get it flush 5 let it cure over night and sand with some 400 and jump to 800 then 1000 buff and your done

4. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

forgot to say remove the tape before you sand some times you can get lucky and need very little sanding

5. Brian Clark

Brian Clark New Member

great advice. thanks.