Feedback on using styrene foam strip plank

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by zigzag, Aug 3, 2007.

1. zigzag

zigzag Junior Member

PVC foam core is expensive, Dow styrene insulation foam is cheap and available in 50mm.
    If the one side face of a 50mm thick sheet was laminated with a lightweight chopped strand matt and the sheet was ripped to 18mm-20mm thick strips there would be a rib on one side that when the foam strips were edge glued into reverse flipped female hull moulds there would be a spine / web at each 50 mm plank joint.The single rib per pbonded seam would act as a thru bonding web/strip that would limit any debonding, once both sides were glassed over with unistrand fibreglass on the vertical axis with a light 10 oz WR over. All epoxy of course. The application would be for a lightweight tri centre hull of maximum 20' length
    Re amas: has anyone used Hobie 17 hulls and would the 17' Hobie rig be approriate?
    Comments appreciated.

2. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

The sheer force on styrene panels is very low. I would advise against it. There are better tried and true options out there.

3. nero

nero Senior Member

Back three years, I laminated some high density extruded polystyren with some 10 biaxel and another sample with 8 mm Osage Orange. Laminates were on both sides of the 40 mm core.

Results were that the test strip did hold my weight (60 kg) over a 500 mm span. But it did bend a bit. The flexing is what will lead to delamination. When hit with a hammer, the glass/foam/glass didn't resist. I tried the same test with some corecell. Corecell didn't bend or compress near as much and resisted for a longer time before destruction from hammer blows.

I ended up strip planking with cypress with glass skins. Less costly solution for me at that time.