Epoxy strength

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by rturbett, Jun 20, 2006.

1. rturbett

rturbett Senior Member

I usually use a "west" type epoxy for serious repairs, but occasionally I need to use a 5, 15, or 30 minute epoxy for a quick repair. (from the hobby shop)
    Any idea if I am giving up a lot of strength, or are there any issues I should worry about? I rarely consider going back and "doing it right" if the repair is holding.
    Thanks,
    Rob

2. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

The fast epoxys are known to blush. thats usually the only problem I know of. Even though they kick off faster they still need 24 hours or more to fully cure.

3. Hunter25

Hunter25 Senior Member

Faster epoxies are usually much more brittle, the faster they set the less flex they can take.

4. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

It depends on the type of repair. Maybe you could give us an example.

joel

5. rturbett

rturbett Senior Member

Usually repairs done between races- rudder housing/ tiller bars or dock damage to the bows. I've become a resource for people, but don't want to mislead them that my free repair is all they will need.
    For "real" work that comes home with me, I use the appropriate west hardener.

6. Hunter25

Hunter25 Senior Member

You probably are giving up a good amount of strength, but the repairs you mention are just what those quick cure products are for. Try to over engineer your repairs, with plenty of tape and grind away the globs of goo latter when you have time to do it right. I did a fair amount of racing when I was younger and we used to carry a box with assorted lengths of square drive deck screws, hose clamps, stainless bailing wire, zip ties, duct tape, a few pairs of vice grips, supper glue, 5 minute epoxy, plus a bunch of stuff we did not need often, but when we did, we were glad we had it. A sharpened rail road spike, fastened to the end of a bow sprit gives you right of way, regardless of which tack you are on.