epoxy sensitivity

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by freddyj, Aug 9, 2016.

1. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"It's just been so much fun working with epoxy that I want to do it some more."

The Hardiner is the problem,

after the epoxy is hard use a really good detergent to scrub all the epoxy , then sand.

2. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Just a thought, if your fairing and breathing the dust, that will get you too. I have felt it myself and from here forward will only infuse with a mold to minimize fairing and exposure to epoxy.

3. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

I always wear a respirator when sanding. Im used to wearing one, having painted cars all my adult life.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Epoxy remains "chemically active" for about 2 - 3 weeks after the initial (24 hours) cure. It's technically dry and hard enough to sand, but the molecules are still aligning into the new matrix. Unfortunately, this is when most tend to sand it and where you can get into trouble if you're not protected. For most, this simply means a good particulate filter, to keep your lungs free, but those sensitized a chemical respirator might be necessary. If you can wait the full 2 - 3 weeks before sanding, epoxy is chemically inert and only a dust mask is necessary and this is only to keep cured particulates, from clogging up mucous membranes in your bronchial tracks (just like any other dust).

5. LP

LP Flying Boatman

My home town. Welcome to the forum.

6. hcaz095

hcaz095 New Member

Fast Fred... was hoping to speak to you about an old spark ignite detroit diesel (off topic I know, but hoping you'll see this)