epoxy sealing water in haul??

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by man5, Apr 14, 2006.

1. man5

man5 Junior Member

Grinding woven roving for stringer replacement. foam that was torn out was wet. looks as though roving was put down sloppy. as I'm grinding to rough the surface up I am finding air pockets, some with water in them. Should I grind all the roving out? Otherwise it seems as though the water will get trapped in there and or cause delamination. wanted to use epoxy for repairs.

1 person likes this.
  2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

The wet foam, I presume, was originally the core of the stringer?
    Pockets of air and water are not a good sign. If a bubble is left in place, loads that would normally be spread out over the whole region become concentrated in a small ring at the edge of the bubble. The glass then peels a bit more, the bubble gets bigger, and so on. If they fill with water, the deterioration is accelerated- especially if the boat is stored below freezing in the winter. I suspect you will have to remove the roving over the bubbles and clean them up before you can rebuild the stringers. Definitely use a good epoxy- and make sure the surfaces are clean and prepared with the proper solvents. With due care in the rebuilding process, bubbles and voids can usually be patched, but it takes a long time- patience is definitely helpful.

3. man5

man5 Junior Member

Sorry I meant to say the flotation foam was wet.