Epoxy instead of wood possible?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Vhull, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Vhull

Vhull New Member

Hi, Im really new to boat building, I have got some plans provided by the UN for an 8.5 m boat, but it requires marine ply and that’s will cost much more than my budget, as I understand that fibreglass and Epoxy is cheaper to use, I was wondering if the design could be adapted for epoxy resin to be used instead?

Regards

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Fibreglass is not a direct replacement for plywood. The entire structural concept of a wood boat is completely different from a glass boat. And a purely fibreglass boat (as opposed to glass-over-plywood) is built in a mould, which is itself extremely tedious and pricey to build. Epoxy, furthermore, is not cheap (nor are any of the lower quality resins).

In some cases, marine ply can be replaced with cheaper plywoods. In my part of Canada, for instance, AC exterior ply is a perfectly acceptable substitute as long as looks don't matter very much.