Dual to Center Console??

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Hou-Chap, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Hou-Chap

Hou-Chap Junior Member

My father recently gave me one of his older boats. It is a 1977 vhull 19' Chaparral runabout/bowrider/dual console. The boat is in immaculate shape. I just had the 150 outboard all tuned up, and to the surprise of the mechanic was in immaculate shape as well. I primarily will use this boat for fishing, and have really become spoiled by center console boats. The more I look at this boat, the more I think that a center console conversion could be possible. I have a great source for the center console itself, and can pick one up for around $200. I would have to cut and reglass the consoles out on each side. I am assuming I would have to reinforce/bolster under the deck where the center console would go. Since I am not planning on taking this boat out this summer, I will have all winter to fiddle on this project. I am a novice to boat building, but have taken on and completed many other ambitious projects. Has anyone out there done this before, or familiar with what some of this could entail?? I would obviously have to relocate helm controls, gauges, etc.. Just really looking for some feedback. This is a great boat that would make a great fishing rig, but due to the consoles/seats is cramped. I have learned alot just from reading the posts of this forum over the last few days. Any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated!! THX

2. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Fiberglass is wonderful stuff. You can do just about anything with it. I say go for it. I am in the process of doing the same thing to an old 19.5' Aquasport, actually cut the hull down to make a shallow water boat out of her. Your deck should have no problem holding up the console, and patching over where the side pods were can be easily accomplished with marine ply and glass, or Starboard, or just frame the openings and make some smoked plexiglass doors for storage.....The possibilities are endless. :D

3. Hou-Chap

Hou-Chap Junior Member

Thanks Corpus

Corpus Skipper,

Thanks for the reply. The more I look at that boat the more I see a 'project' in the works, and an oppurtunity to make the boat the way I want it. My only concern was creating structural issues by taking out the two consoles. I will just make sure that the voids are properly shored up. I also appreciate the idea about creating storage in the absence of the consoles. I hadn't thought of that, but addresses storage concerns. I am also considerning framing and glassing in the front bow rider section with hatches to allow for storage and a casting platform. Any other tips/issues that you run across on your project would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks again. P.S. You are lucky to be down south, I grew up in Rockport (where my father lives), and the fishing is fantastic. I hope to moveback someday, It's just hard to find 'big city' pay in little towns. Thx again.