displacement resin infusion

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by cristofa, Aug 12, 2006.

1. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

pm fibreglass jack, hes good and would love the vacation

2. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

heres on part i make with the old school way it was past down from my great grandfather

Attached Files:

3. Richard Hillsid

Richard Hillsid Senior Member

I sent U a PM

4. fiberglass jack

here is another part a race car we made with a mould using resin displacement, and a spot light the arms are made with a reusable silacone liner for resin infussion ,the photos on my last thread are of the tray on the bottom of the light

Attached Files:

5. cristofa

cristofa Junior Member

... it is, for the most part, but I just love the simplicity of this system which needs no vacuum! Each boat needs 4 sockets - we can knock these out while the vac system is occupied on one of the other moulds.

And Fiberglass Jack - I'm very impressed that it's possible to make anything like that car shell by just squeezing two moulds together - one lives and learns!

6. fiberglass jack

only downside is looking at all that resin that u waste ,infusion is the way to go but the displacment way works great

7. cristofa

cristofa Junior Member

With the car shell, did you wet lay the glass into the mould, and then use the matched mould to consolidate, or did you lay in the glass dry, dump in a load of resin and squeeze the moulds together to force the resin through the fibre? On our small part using the latter method, once we did it a few times, we got to know just how much resin it uses and we now have practically no waste.

Folk talk about 'composites', or 'advanced composites' as if it's one thing, but there are loads of ways to produce a 'composite' part - it's horses for courses, and one chooses the best method for each part.

8. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I'm amazed also. I splashed a mold off a 'nose' for a Lotus that my brother in law raced, basically like what you show but just the front half from the driver forward, and it made for a 9 piece mold with the air scoops, recurved fenders etc. and it was just an open, hand lay-up mold. Sam

9. fiberglass jack

the race car was design to be resin infussed we made a one piece mould hard to believe i know, except for the head rest it has 3 parts that are bolted on the main mould before layup , so the the body of the car is a unicell, but after some races the designers change that to a 2 part body they just cut the body after its made it now has a front clip. after the mould mas made we had a good look at how to bag it, we found it a pain in the arse so we went rtm instead of using a silacone bag ,we lined the mould with sheet wax and filled any gaps with clay, and layed up a male hat ,we had to card it off for some splits so we could release it,we had a tube set at the top of the mould
    (or bottom of car) running around the peremiter to serve as a vacum , a few resin ports near the bottom . we fill the mould with dry glass tacking in place with 3m 77 spray glue we also sprayed the face side with sanding gel to make painting a little easier,then place the hat mould into the female,we placed some rubber gaskets to seal the two moulds and bolt it all down snug, then we sealed all the joints with bagging tape. after this we stuck on our vac tube and resin tubes and we infussed, out came the part, We also needed a body really fast just to do art work didnt have much time so i fired up the chooper gun and filled the mould threw down the hat mould and quickly c clamped it down , out that came. the cockpit and seat areas are cut after the piece is made

10. fiberglass jack

the car is now made with prepreg carbon and a nomax core and curede in a autoclave

11. Richard Hillsid

Richard Hillsid Senior Member

12. cristofa

cristofa Junior Member

fiberglass jack - then I think we are talking at cross purposes - what you decribe for the car is standard vacuum assisted resin infusion, not what I called at the top of this thread 'displacement resin infusion', which does not involve the use of any machinery at all.

13. fiberglass jack

the car was once made buy a chopergun and the hat mould placed in it , thats the same as displacement, i could have placed mat and wetted it out then put the hat in, same **** different pile

14. cristofa

cristofa Junior Member

... then I need to come up with a different name for what we do with our sockets, because it's not the same as what you are describing.

Having attached the dry glass to the male mould (cos it's easier than the other way round), we just pour the resin into the bottom of the female mould and press the two moulds together. This forces the resin up through the glass (which has an integral infusion medium) and the resultant parts are consistant to within a few grams.

15. fiberglass jack

yeah yours is some what different,