Decomissioned Boats

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by E5L, Feb 25, 2006.

1. E5L

E5L New Member

I am looking for feedback for needed boat repairs. How long should it take a a pro-shop to repair a hole in a boat that is composed of kevlar and fiberglass? (i.e. 1sf = 4hrs?) I have photos of the boat would like to find out more about what is involved, such as time of repair and cost associated. If you have first hand knowledge, I welcome the feedback. The hull is 39 ft with an 8.6 ft beam. Manufacturer unknown. More detail to those who offer feedback. Thanks.

2. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

how long is the piece of string in my pocket.it all depends where the hole is does the boat got to be blocked to access the repair is it on the deck ,will the repair area require gelcoat or paint ,its hard to say even looking at a photo the repair area will have to dry out this will take some time also alot of shops charge more just because its kevlar and make sure the use kevlar make sure you see the stages of the repair alot of fly by nights out there.also find out what resin they use if its epoxy or vinalester some shops will use polyester which is not execptable for kevlar shop around and get quotes but with boats u dont get much for cheap

3. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

I really trust Blackline Marine for stuff like that. You can get ahold of Campbell Black at (250)-656-6616, and send him some pictures of the hole inside and out (long shots and close-ups). Or Russ at Foxxaero..he's usually lurking on this forum somewhere.

4. E5L

E5L New Member

Thanks for the posts

I am still looking into the cost of repairing these noats. I have a company pricing out the repair work....If the price comes in too high, I will look into the references. Thank you again.