cost of building a hull

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by justasoon, Sep 22, 2014.

1. hardcoreducknut

hardcoreducknut Junior Member

True, however the OP was referring to FL where my friend is. However, I admit I did neglect to mention that in my post.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I've had it happen both ways. They now know me, so it's assumed I'm the nut job getting a new build registered, but fraud and theft are concerns, so if you look shady, they'll give you a grilling, depending on how happy their marriage was the previous night or some such humanity stuff.

3. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Went to DMV thursday with the form the FWC gave me and another form - application for title, got the boat and new trailer registered in less than 30 min. They made copies of my main receipts, didn't need motor SN or anything else. She said if it's under 21' they need some kind of notarized affadavit, Im 21'-10 so didn't apply.

4. PAR

Yeah, that sounds about right. Again it depends on which county you're in, if the clerk got laid the night before and how you present yourself. They'll (or you might have to) send the appropriate paper work to Tallahassee and a boat title will show up in the mail in a month.

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

many years a go, a friend of mine finally launched a substantial steel fishing boat he had been building for 5 or 6 years.

It got into the local newspaper, and a week later he was asked to visit the local tax office.

The showed him the clipping, and asked where he had got the money from. he had to explain that he had been well paid on oil rig work , and they thanked him for attending.

I wonder if that still goes on anywhere ?

6. PAR

Yes, this happens, but usually a few phone calls or office cooler conversations preceded the request. Joe Blow, the average guy suddenly presents his 50' yacht, from it's several year barn build and the typical topics of discussion begin. Did he hit the lottery, did his uncle Willie die and leave a bunch of money, etc., etc., etc. Most of this is simply because the average person just can't imagine someone building a yacht in their barn. You can build a hot rod, of greater value with few questions, but a yacht, well something has to be amiss for that . . . Lots of things in life are like this, for example a beautiful woman, considerably younger then the less then handsome man she marries, must be a gold digger - couldn't be they liked each others company. A black man driving a new Mercedes S class, has to have stolen it, etc., etc., etc. Mostly from the minds of uneducated, contemptuous idiots this stuff is.

7. justasoon

justasoon Junior Member

thanks

just wanted to say thanks to everybody who gave ideas and help !!!

8. gdavis

gdavis Junior Member

Going for tarpon? Lucky you! If you plan on buying a mold you will probably have to sell every thing you own and more. Yes including your dog! If you can even find one for sale. Do you know of a builder of these? Sometimes in the production process there are oopsies that are deemed not worth fixing for a production line product. Once in awhile one can buy these hulls as factory seconds and finish it off yourself. Oh sure, real easy! Old Town Canoe up here in frozen Maine sells off seconds every spring. I work with a guy that got a Maritime Skiff hull at a decent discount because contaminates in the mold caused a lot of gel goat blisters, A few sheets of plywood, some epoxy,cloth,paint,a few shiny marine trinkets,alot of elbow grease and a 120 hp outboard and maybe a divorce and walla, he's got a boat. He still has his dog although he's talking about trading fido for a fancy new chartplotter, fishfinder combo.Where was i? Also all these poly ester and vinyl ester products have expiration dates. The dealers are faced with getting rid of these by some means, often extremely costly to them. Up north here there is Northend Composites and if you know somebody that knows somebody as we boat builders do then these products can be bought for less than half price. Most of these are still perfectly good. You could also try boatbuilding shops for expired resin or left overs. Hey, snoop around a bit it might pay off for you. Or how about something like a Carolina skiff? Good simple proven designs that are pretty easy to build. You could build a casting, poling platform on the stern, pimp it out!Okay enough yaking need to stoke the stove and warm up this old boat of mine i think the ice age is coming down the river..................later....g