Coronado15 Rebuild

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by 5monkeys, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

I've been googling everything I can think of trying to find that link. So far no luck, but I'll find it. I removed the rub rail and all the hardware from my transom and then cleaned it up with some wet sanding. I'm tempted to pull it apart but haven't seen evidence of rot.

2. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

Is it at all soft? If there's no evidence of decay, why mess with it? I'd leave it alone. Mine is clearly soft..I had to tighten the gudgeons because they were loose and floppy. I think I could have just kept on tightening. I actually added a piece of metal I had around to reinforce last season. Now I hope to actually fix it correctly.

3. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

I took out all the bolts and stabbed at the wood inside the bolt holes with something sharp. And around the drain plug hole. Everything was dry and solid. I found those pictures. Will get them posted shortly.

4. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

I would put a nice coat of epoxy in those holes. Before putting the bolts back. But good news for you just the same!

5. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

6. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

yeah,

I saw you asked on there. Didn't see the project pic's. I'll take another look.
    thanks,

Keith

7. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

Hey thanks Canracer,
    I looked through tons of photo's (inspiration) and then I found the ones with the transom. It looks like they cut from the outside as you said, and left only about an inch of glass around the edges. I expect the innards of my transom to look similar to theirs if not more doughy. It looks pretty good, and has me feeling optimistic about this project. Epoxy comes tomorrow, along with some replacement shackles and a boom bale that I plan to add as an attachment point for my boom vang. The vang had been attached with screws straight into the bottom of the boom which, before I got the boat,pulled through.

Have a great day,

Keith

8. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

I posted the question and then realized I could use the search function. Not a big fan of Yahoo Groups.

You don't have to follow the steps of that previous project exactly. No doubt, it offers a great look at what to expect. Your right, I remembered that he left more skin around the transom margin and was surprised when I saw the pictures again. It might be a better idea to leave more skin if it results in a stronger joint.

And I might lean toward epoxy saturated marine grade plywood and not pressure treated planks. I'm not being critical, and big big thanks to that guy for giving it a go and sharing the pictures.

There's no instruction manual and It's like I wrote in my own project threads "I won't say this is the right way to do things, just offering a look at how I did it; and expecting that the next guy will see how to do it better."

I hope you go for it Keith and share some good pictures.

9. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

I have probably half a sheet or more of that marine grade birch that I bought and used for the compression post and bulkheads, so I think a few layers of that laminated up with epoxy ought to fit the bill for the new transom just fine. I'll try to be good about pictures/write up. I'm sure some of the monkeys will be along for the ride as well.

10. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

My vang attachment screws into the boom too. Inside the boom, I backed the screws up with small pieces of plywood and thickened epoxy.

11. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

That'll work too! We've got ice everywhere here, so no progress at this point :-(

12. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

13. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

That's looks about right. You could install the plastic ones or pay a boat yard to do it. When I looked into it, I leaned toward the boat yard path. Would hate to buy a tool I'd never use again.

14. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

15. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

You got a plan for making that first cut?